Monday, January 17, 2011

SSDs rock - but not for the reasons you think

I bit the bullet and picked up an SSD. It's expensive, but it had some surprising benefits. The normally quoted benefit is speed - which I really don't notice. Most operations went from some annoying amount of time, to some other annoying amount of time. I did notice two things:



1) Silence:  I'm so used to hearing my laptop harddrive I couldn't figure out what I was missing - there is no more annoying grindings; clicking or whirring.



2) Coolness: SSD's run cooler - which means less spinning fan, which means more silence



In theory the SSD should also help with the dropping (my last HDD got some bad sectors after a short fall) - so far very true.



(Update: A short,  highly entertaining talk about SSDs - mostly for servers here)

0 comments:

Post a Comment